Switch to full style
Post a reply

iPhone.icc

Mon May 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Does anyone know what's the function of iPhone.icc color profile found on System/library/lockdown/?

I've opened it using colorsync utility, it contains only (roughly) 60-70% sRGB color gamut.

I've tried replacing it with modified ones (very cold/bluish and very warm/yellowish), yet there's no effect both on the display color reproduction and the pictures taken from camera.

It looks like neither it's display color profile or color profile assigned to pictures taken from camera.

Re: iPhone.icc

Thu May 07, 2015 4:49 pm

I am not sure if this is going to help you but I found it in some forums.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zisk1zzkja1km ... 4.png?dl=0

Sun May 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I 've done that already, even I did two very extreme calibrations, one very cold (very bluish), the other very warm (very yellowish).
that's why I was asking what's excactly it's function as I can't see the difference between original and modified icc on iPhone.
May be it needs factory reset to take effect, but jailbroken iPhone will end up in recovery mode by doing so.
btw, why posting link to the screenshot instead of to the forum/thread?

Sun May 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Edit:
I've taken some icc files from iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.3 and iOS 7.1.2) and from iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4 and iOS 8.1), they four are excactly the same (I compared them using colorsync utility), no more than 70% of sRGB color gamut.
the fact that iPhone 5 display has color gamut very close to sRGB (according to displaymate) contradicts with the idea that iPhone.icc is display color profile.

Sun May 10, 2015 2:57 pm

r6680jc wrote:btw, why posting link to the screenshot instead of to the forum/thread?

I don't think it will be helpful especially since it is not English that is spoken by the people over here:
http://myapple.pl/forums/topic/97088-iphone-3gs-jasny-ekran/

Sun May 10, 2015 3:00 pm

r6680jc wrote:the fact that iPhone 5 display has color gamut very close to sRGB (according to displaymate) contradicts with the idea that iPhone.icc is display color profile.

May be you make changes in the iPhone.icc and then 'Load' :idea: it as another 'Profile' :idea: or something; just some wild guesses!

Sun May 10, 2015 6:00 pm

nerdynevin wrote:I don't think it will be helpful especially since it is not English that is spoken by the people over here:
http://myapple.pl/forums/topic/97088-iphone-3gs-jasny-ekran/

Ah okay, you're right, thanks anyway.

nerdynevin wrote:May be you make changes in the iPhone.icc and then 'Load' :idea: it as another 'Profile' :idea: or something; just some wild guesses!

I'm sure as hell the original (not calibrated) icc files aren't touched/altered, and they are all show same narrow color gamut close to/ match to iPhone 4/4S display color gamut, but how come iPhone 5 display produce such wide color gamut using color profile with narrow color gamut?
The saturation difference (ignoring the color temp) between iPhone 5 display compared to iPhone 4 display is very noticable to naked eye.

Sun May 10, 2015 6:04 pm

May be a better hardware is the reason?

Sun May 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Yeah, i'm sure the display of iPhone 5 is far better than iPhone 4/4S, but unless the iPhone 5 display has very wide color gamut exceeding AMOLED, such color profile will reduce the saturation to the level of iPhone 4/4S display.
Post a reply